Monday 29 September 2014

Hitchhiking to Nordjylland

Before starting this new job, I was tasked with writing a letter to the headmaster - Gerda - at Nordjylland-Dagskolen, giving some details about myself. She was away for a couple of days and so I stayed at Tvind longer than anticipated. I took it easy and hung out with Diana (twisted Dee) a lot, and I also practiced a nice Romanian Gypsy song called Ederlezi along with Louis, Lucie and Laura. 2014 team had officially started their program so a "trial" was put on for them which was cool.

After a couple of days, Gerda had gotten back to us and said I was perfect for the job and it was decided that I would leave the following day, by way of the thumb! I was feeling pretty confident hitchhiking alone and prepared for the journey with Michael's help. Once I was told some hotspot locations, I wrote them down on cardboard, said my farewells to some of the 2014 lot and Mika, and off I trekked to Ulfborg.

My bag was slightly lighter than last time as I opted to leave behind my sleeping bag and mat (as well as a few clothes l left at Puning 5 for the clothes container), although in hindsight it probably wasn't the wisest decision. Still, it was easier for me to walk without becoming too exhausted which was nice seeing as it was about a 4km trek to my first hotspot. By time I reached a shop to purchase a cool drink, my feet already felt sore and blistered. I wasn't wearing the most suitable footwear it turned out, but I stubbornly refused myself to change into my sandals on the grounds that the shoes I was wearing were heavy and I didn't want my bag to become encumbered. Silly me.

Luckily, Camilla saw me and pulled over before I reached the hotspot. She offered to drive me just outside of Holstebro which I was grateful for! She stopped off beside some traffic lights before turning off and continuing her own journey. This was it. I was finally alone and in unfamiliar territory now. I saw what I thought was a pretty good spot to stand with my cardboard to Viborg in one hand, thumb out on the other with a big grin on my face, making sure to make eye contact with every driver that went past, lest they don't have sympathy for this poor stranded soul. The grin eventually turned into a frown as the umpteenth driver went past, quickly averting from my pitiful stare at them. A couple thought it would be oh-so-hilarious to slow down and drive off as I approached them. Wankers! 

My feet were now even more sore as I stood in feigned hope for somebody to stop. About an hour and half later, someone finally did! An old man offered to drive me, although not to Viborg unfortunately, but a little closer he said. Sod it I thought. This hotspot of mine clearly wasn't hot. Just a mere spot that everybody ignores. I jumped in his van and after almost 15 mins of silence, save for the obvious questions that every driver is bound to ask, he let me out in the middle of nowhere, but it's a main road to Viborg. Well, it was road 16 so it would do I thought. 

Once again I painfully stood with patience as vehicle after vehicle paid me no mind until a middle aged lady stopped and she put her window down and said something in Danish. "Er, Engelsk?" I asked. She then said to me in quite good English, "Do you like heavy metal music?" I think hell yeah was my answer to her. "Good. Get in then." 

She too was unable to drive me all the way to Viborg but offered to drive me at least 15km closer. It was a pleasant albeit brief drive with her. Her music taste is pretty cool and she has a good outlook in life for someone with a neurological disorder. She laughed and said she has electrical superpowers as she pointed at the battery pack that had been surgically inserted into her torso. She can't work so she enjoys her time going to gigs. 

True to her word, she dropped me off roughly 15km up the road. I stood only for a couple of minutes before the next person stopped and said he could take me to Viborg. Finally! This young chap was pretty cool too. His names Ben and he told me some stories of his travels with his girlfriend and his work on dairy farms. He told me that he often picks up hitchhikers as he finds that they are always interesting to converse with. Swell guy! He took me just outside of Viborg near a large roundabout. As soon as I got out, said goodbye, got my next cardboard ready, a car pulled over and I was offered a lift. To Aalborg too! Finally, lady luck was bestowing upon me her good fortune it seemed!

This gracious driver is a logistics person in the Danish military. He was built like a brick shithouse and was quite stern. Nach, he spoke of the recent conflicts happening around the world and stated bleakly that we are due another world war. He then quoted Einstein after I said it'll be our last: "I know not with what weapons world war III will be fought, but world war IV will be fought with sticks and stones." He then went on to talk about bunkers and cannibalism. The topics are all related, believe me. 

Once we finally reached Aalborg, he dropped me off at what he thought was a good strategic place to hitch a ride. It wasn't . Quite the contrary actually. I was still in the city, near the start of the E45 motorway and no could really pull over. Well, they didn't want to anyway. I tried walking to other nearby places where maybe someone would stop, but to no avail. Lady luck was bedding another man now - the promiscuous mare! 

A few hours went by and I was now having to sit as I found it too agonising to stand on my feet. I must've looked like a tramp sitting on the pavement with my hat on the floor, holding up a tatty bit of cardboard. I did get some looks from pedestrians. No one tossed me their change though! Tired, in pain and hungry I thought fuck waiting around any longer for a ride and texted Michael saying I may have to use public transport for the remainder of the journey. Wait just 30 more minutes he texted back with optimism. You can do it! So begrudgingly, I got up and limped to the middle of the road to try my luck. 

The sun was starting to set so I had to give up. I really was struggling to stand too. As so off I limped to find a bus/train station. I found a bus stop which is the next best thing I suppose. I asked some old man where I could get a train to Frederikshavn. Luckily, the next bus could take me to the nearest station. Awesome. I had to stand on the bus which was a struggle as I tried not to fall on the floor whilst trying to balance my sore feet into a comfortable position. The old man from the bus stand informed me when to get off and pointed out the station to me. I thanked him and slowly hobbled across the road to the station.

I paid 100dkk for a train ticket and got myself a much needed snack and drink too. I decided to have a look at my feet once I sat and waited for the next train. I had three big blisters on the bottom of each foot and redness all over. I rummaged through my trusty little first aid kit for a needle to do some surgery on my feet. I finally stopped being a stubborn tit and opted to swap my shoes for my sandals. It only took me all sodding day when the damage had already been done!

I had to wait 45mins or so for the train bound for Frederikshavn arrived. I was relieved to have a nice comfortable chair to sit on for the duration of my journey which took over an hour. I talked with Gerda on the phone once I got off the train and she arranged for Jonna to come and pick me up which was nice. On the way, she told me a little about the place that I would now be living at and working. It was about 10pm when by time I finally arrived at Nordjylland-Dagskolen. So much for it only going to take me 4 or 5 hours. Pfft!

Jonna had cooked some food earlier and said I could heat up the leftovers. I gratefully took her up on this offer and soon stuffed my mouth with pasta and mince. Delicious. There were problems with the student - Rasmas - who I'd be sharing a house with and so for my first night, I had to sleep in the staff house. I didn't mind. I was so tired I could've slept anywhere to be honest. Well, maybe not since I left my sleeping bag with Nadina. Yeah, I think it'll be a good idea to bring it everywhere from now on. Just in case I can't get to my destination sometime. Hitchhiking is a cool experience and all, but it relies on the goodwill of strangers of which there aren't enough of it seems.

To be continued soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment